Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Road Trip

The last night at my parents' home, my Mom made my favorite food: crab! We had crab nabe (hotpot) and grilled snow crab. Coming home and eating Mama's cooking is a definite treat! The morning that we departed, Russ' parents came over to the house to see the pro golf and enjoy some time together.
The last time I was in Isla Vista was 1991, when we attended Kellie's graduation. But, some things never change and we were happy to see that Freebirds had expanded. They still make THE best burritos!
We drove up the 101, taking in the sights and just driving which is something we don't do much in Saipan. Instead of stopping in Monterey for the night, we went north to Santa Cruz and decided to stay near the infamous Boardwalk.
It's been a while since we went to an amusement park and it was fun to walk around, smell the sweet aromas from the candy apples, cotton candy, funnel cakes, etc. and hear all the screams from the riders. The ride on the left looked the scariest!
Even though the Santa Cruz boardwalk is relatively small, they pack a lot of rides into the park.
We decided to go on the Hurricane rollercoaster which was lots of fun!
Now, I remember how much I like going Disneyland... the 80 feet coaster drops!
We were lucky to have a nice, friendly Front Desk person at the hotel, who recommended that we dine at the Center Street Grill. Russ loved his smoked bacon wrapped prawns accompanied by mesclun greens & granny smith apples.
I had a caesar salad, shrimp & crab fettuccine and for dessert... caramel &banana bread pudding.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Is the food emphasis on your blog intentional or not? Either way, "dadadada, I'm lovin' it." ;)

Glad you guys are having a blast Stateside. We sure do miss you.

Russ and Kanae said...

Hi Sean, I love food so I enjoy featuring it in our blogs. We are home now and had a whirlwind trip!

Miss all of you as well!
Love,
Kanae