Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Seventy-three degrees


This morning as I got into the car to take Harley on a walk on Railroad Drive, I noticed the outside temperature gauge on the dashboard which read "73F". For most places in mid-January, 73F is hot but for Saipan, it's considered cool. It's the time of year when I wear long sleeved shirts, jeans and sometimes a cotton sweater (especially at the movie theatre). I tend to eat more soups, drink more hot beverages and crave ramen, udon and hot pots.

Winter is relative, isn't it? After living in the tropics for over 20 years, 73 degrees has become our reference to "cold weather". Less than two weeks ago, we thought that cold was -15C on the ski hill.
Last week, we enjoyed lunch at Chang Won to have their summer chicken soup called Samgyetang which we ordered 3 days in advance. It's delicious and contains a whole Cornish game hen filled with sweet rice, ginseng, garlic, dates and seasonings. It's served with a dozen condiments like garlic bean sprouts, anchovies, kim chee, etc. The Koreans eat this soup in the summer, but for me, I prefer it in the winter. Luckily, we can order it year-round.

January is a great month as people hit the gyms to resolve to lose those extra holiday pounds (me included), make resolutions to hopefully become better people and/or accomplish a goal and assess their lives. It's when we can reflect upon our 2010 experiences, whether good or bad and step forward with high expectations to learn from them and make 2011 an even better year.

I read somewhere this week that every decision we make has eternal consequences so we should choose wisely. I didn't always think that way, but now I clearly see how all of my past decisions have made me into the person I am today. I still need to complete my New Year's goals... perhaps this weekend.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Sean said...

You can't beat winter in Saipan! I loved those brisk days of January when the temps drop into the 70's!

Happy New Year Quinns!