Sunday, May 1, 2011

Good Friday Trek

I’m running a bit behind on my blog as we’ve been busy so I had a little time as I sit at the Chamber’s High School Workshop. On Good Friday last week, we hiked up Mt. Tapochau with Rex, Clarie, Jake and the Frink family. Along the way up and down, we excitedly ran into many friends who participated in the journey to recognize the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

On Good Friday, the various congregations and denominations of those who believe in Jesus trek up Mt. Tapochau early in the morning to physically recognize the significance of that one event that occurred over 2000 years ago. What I’ve learned since becoming Christian 6 years ago is that Christianity is based on the resurrection as Jesus had promised and that thousands of people saw Him after his death. It was that one event that changed history and the reason why His message carries on today. One unique feature about Christianity that differentiates it from others is that only forgiven people get to heaven. The fallacy lies in believing that only good people get to heaven. Thankfully, it’s not. Jesus died for all of us so it’s a matter of repenting (acknowledging that we personally fall short of the mark or “sin”) and then asking Jesus into our lives to be our personal Savior. Being a Christian is a lifestyle and one that excites me because it provides the guide map for my life.


Many of our friends have witnessed the transformation of our lives over the last 6 years although few have asked why. I can say that being a follower of Christ has made me a better person than I was before. I know that I’m no better or worse than anyone else, but I am kinder, more “others-centered”, patient and at peace with where I am in my life. It’s a strange thing because all through life, we are taught to be independent and tackle problems on our own. I’ve learned that life’s hurdles are now eased when I first give them to Christ. How do I do this? I just pray. Praying is talking ~ having a conversation with God and asking Him to handle it for me. For non-Christians, praying is a bit awkward and they wonder if it works, if at all. I’ve witnessed how it works in my life and the lives of many of my close friends and in Russ’ family.

For the Catholics on Good Friday, they start from one of the parishes and carry a huge cross up the hill. They replace the one they erected the previous year and haul it to a site just at the base of the scenic viewpoint,

No comments: