Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hurray for Hollywood!

 I had a 10 day follow up doctor's appointment in LA on Monday morning so instead of trying to fight traffic, we planned a short getaway to Hollywood/LA starting on Sunday.  My shoulder has been healing well as I do my required physical therapy exercises twice daily.  And, I'm off all pain medication!
We drove out to Hollywood & Highland where they have an outdoor mall next to the Chinese Theatre and the Dolby Theatre (formerly Kodak Theatre where they host the Academy Awards).  The Hollywood sign was visible on the slightly smoggy day.
 We arrived a few hours prior to the show so we found an Italian restaurant called Trastevere on the 4th floor and enjoyed the delicious but simple meal.
 The thin crust Trastevere pizza was covered with tomatoes, olives, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, fresh basil and cheese. It was soooo tasty and we finished the entire 12" pie.
 One of the specials was the Carpaccio with rocket and shaved Parmesan and a mustard sauce. This was done to perfection and we thoroughly enjoyed this plateful of delicate raw beef.
 It's been a long time since Mama and I had a girls' day out. We had a wonderful time!
 The iconic "Hollywood" sign can be viewed inside the arch in the background.  The day was sunny and cloudless so we were able to walk around the mall a bit before the show.
 Mama is still looking fashionable with her hat!
No one was permitted to take photos of the "Iris" show so I didn't have any to display. "Iris" is Cirque du Soleil's production that centers its theme on film. The acrobatics, music, sets and performance were spectacular! Live shows are worth watching, especially inside a polished theatre.  
Afterwards, we went to our hotel, the Downtown Hilton Checker's and walked a few blocks to find a great sushi restaurant called Sugarfish by Nozawa!  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me for dinner.

The next morning, we went to the doctor and he said that I need to be conservative in my activities as the labral tear was quite severe. In fact, there was no labrum left so he had to use other tissue and fold it over to attach it with two screws to the bone.  He also advised me that there's a 12% failure rate so I need to be extra cautious when I go mountain biking, etc. The good news is that I can go skiing in December!

Anyway, thank you, Mama, for a great time in LA!

No comments: